Monday, March 24, 2008

The Thrones

I know, some of you were dying to ask...what was the toilet situation like?

I was actually surprised that there were toilets along the trail. For some reason, I thought we would be peeing/pooping in holes in the ground. The toilets on the trails were made from the porcelain like they are here, but were basically just holes in the ground, nothing to sit on, you still had to squat - now that's real camping, huh?

A few of the areas would have regular toilets, but without any seats. I guess the toilets are just not meant to be sat on like we do here. We also had to bring our own toilet paper everywhere. There are always garbage cans nearby as you don't put TP down the toilet - I guess they don't have a great sewer system?

The other big toilet question was something my brother told me to look for as he drove us to the airport. He said to see if the toilets flushed backwards compared to how they work here since we would be south of the equator and all the gravity stuff is different. Here's a little video I took, the first "flush" is the toilet in our hotel in Lima (counterclockwise), the 2nd one is my toilet here at home (clockwise), so I guess its true!

No comments: