Another early wake up this morning, no sleeping in on this trip that's for sure. We had a transfer to the Cusco airport at 6:30am to catch our 8:10am plane that would take us to Lima. Unfortunately, because of mechanical problems, our flight to Lima was delayed over 2 hours, so we sat in the Cusco airport for a few extra hours before catching our flight to Lima. Well, if there had to be a delay, its better to have it on the way home - I guess.
Once we arrived in Lima around lunchtime, we were met by our next transfer to take us to the Marriott where we would spend the day before leaving for home, about a 45 minute drive from the airport. The Marriott in Lima was another 5-star looking hotel, we sure paid a lot of money for a room which we weren't really going to use as we weren't spending the night. Oh well, it was nice to be able to take a nap and another shower (can't get enough of those!) until it was time to leave at about 9:30pm for our 1:30am flight home to SFO via LAX. We enjoyed a relaxing buffet lunch at the hotel and just kicked back in the room. Tucker and Lorry and Cynthia and Nathan were going to hang out by the pool for a few hours, but ended up not going too long as the pool wasn't very impressive. It was actually kind of nice to do nothing as I woke up this morning with a sore throat. I think my system is starting to relax and that's why I'm getting sick just from being tired. Oh well, better now than during the hike.
I wasn't very impressed with what I saw of Lima, it just seemed like another big city. The beaches didn't look all that impressive either. Probably not a fair assessment since we barely saw it, I'm sure there's more interesting places here that we didn't see. Our tour guide lady said Lima has a population of 9 million people. Holy cow, if that isn't a big city, I don't know what is.
The flight from Lima to LAX was about 8.5 hours, I think I slept most of the way. I watched a few movies, but think I slept through most of them. I also used the time to catch up and listen to some of the podcasts I had on my iPod. Luckily, Sharon and I made it through customs in LA pretty quickly. I was dreading having my bags getting inspected, those inspectors would have been in for a shock if they had opened up my backpack with all those smelly clothes from the hike, some of which was still damp from being rained on. There was a little drug-sniffing beagle who found some beef jerky that Cynthia had brought from home and we aren't sure if her bags were inspected, but we never saw her make it on the plane for our connecting flight to SFO, we barely made it to the flight on time ourselves and never saw her and Nathan again. I hope they were able to catch another flight home without any problems.
We arrived in SFO without any issues and my brother was right on time to pick us up at the curb and drove us back to my mom's house in Fremont to pick up my car. It was still another 2 hours drive from there, I dropped off Sharon in Sacramento, and was home by 4pm on Saturday. Whew, what a trip...
I jumped in the shower, threw my stinky clothes in the wash (boy, did they smell bad!), and went and picked up Zuleika and Hope. They sure were happy to see each other, and I was happy to cuddle with them again too!
It was a great trip! But, I am also glad to be home....
Monday, March 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment