Sunday, March 23, 2008

Packing it all in

Well, it was a challenge, but I got most of what I wanted to take stuffed into my backpack. The one sacrifice I made was to leave my air mattress at home. The tour company is providing mats that the porters will carry. It may not be as cushy as the one I have, but what the heck, its only 3 nights of sleeping on the ground, so it's not the end of the world. I figure I will be so tired it won't matter what I was sleeping on. I'll use the blue daypack for carrying what I need for the day, it also contains a Camelback so I can carry 2 liters of water to drink while I'm hiking. The bigger pack contains the rest of my stuff such as clothes, sleeping bag, snacks, toiletries, etc. The challenge was packing for the differences in weather that we may have, it may be hot, nights will likely be cold and since we are at the tail-end of the rainy season we have to bring rain gear too.

And, now we're off for the big adventure.



On Thursday afternoon, I picked up Sharon in Sacramento and we drove to Fremont to stay at my mom's house for the night since we were leaving early the next day. It also happened to be my niece's birthday, so we had a really nice dinner of tri-tip and chicken and birthday cake afterwards to celebrate the occasion. This sure beats getting up early to make the trek out SFO a little less painful!

No comments: