Yikes, I didn't know the immunizations would be so expensive! Of course, I went to a Travel Medicine place in Roseville so the prices were probably much higher. I really liked the Doctor when I spoke to her over the phone. The cool part about this doctor was that she lived in Peru and was familiar with the Inca Trail and gave me lots of tips.
I told her I was mostly concerned about the altitude sickness thing, but she said there's no way to tell if you are susceptible or not until you get there, its based on individual body chemistry. I will keep my fingers crossed that as long as I take it slow, I will be ok.
I have to go back two more times for a series of Hepatitus A and B shots. In addition, I also got a tetanus shot, and measles, mumps, rubella (MMR) shots. I also will be taking typhoid pills for the next week, 4 capsules every other day. Then I should be good to go. She also gave me a prescription for traveler's diarrhea, yikes I hope that doesn't happen either!
Today, I also got my zip-off leg hiking pants from REI. I already have a few pairs, but I figure I use them all the time for geocaching, it will nice to have an extra pair. The new hiking boots arrived as well, they seem pretty comfortable, but I haven't decided what to do yet about boots. I may end up trying to break both of them in and see how things are closer to the trip date.
Saturday, January 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
This sounds so absolutely terrific! I'm so jealous! I know you'll be in great shape by the time the trip rolls around. I can't wait to see all the pictures.
Post a Comment