Tuesday, January 1, 2008

The Adventure Begins!

It all started with a call from my cousin Sharon asking if I would be interested in joining her for a one-week trip to camp and hike on the Inca Trail to Machu Pichuu. Neither her husband or son was interested in going and she was looking for a travel partner. The problem was, I needed to decide right away as the trip was filling up and we needed to get our airline and trip reservations made as soon as possible. Yikes, what to do, what to do?

It took me a day or so, but I decided this was an opportunity of a lifetime that I just shouldn't pass up. I've seen pictures of Machu Pichuu and always thought it would be a cool place to go. So, I'm going!

Am I concerned? In a word, YES! Not necessarily about the hiking, but it will be hiking at high altitude which I haven't done a lot of. So I'm trying to get some hikes in on the weekends and working on climbing hills, etc. Geocaching comes in handy for that! I also haven't done 4 days of back-to-back hiking either. Time to start hitting the gym to get in shape!

We will be flying from the US to Lima, Peru and then from Lima to Cuzco where we'll spend a day at high altitude. From there, we'll begin the trek..camping on the trail for 3 nights, hiking for 4 days, spending a night at Machu Pichuu, bused back to Cuzco for a day, then back to Lima for the flight home. I don't have any more details on the trip other than this at this point.

No comments: