Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Gym-dandy...not!

This past weekend was a bust, I didn't get to do ANY hiking at all because of household chores that needed to be done and the rain. Last night I walked the dogs for an hour in the neighborhood, but it wasn't much of a workout. Tonight it was pouring rain - again, ugh. I only have a month left before the trip and I know I need to get myself in shape, so I dragged my butt to the gym after work tonight.

I used to go to the gym faithfully at lunch before I started puppy raising. Then I stopped. I didn't really have anybody at work that I trusted to leave my pup (Marisa) with at the time and the few times I took her with me, we didn't get a good workout in because people would stop and bother us and want to talk about the dog, couldn't take a shower cuz I couldn't watch her, etc. Yah, yah, I know, excuses, excuses....

Lucky for me I bought a lifetime membership back then and now only pay $49 a year so at least I wasn't throwing a bunch of money away on a membership that I never used all these years. Then late last year the gym moved to another location that was further away from home. Another excuse not to go...

Well, tonight I decided to go...now I know why I've stayed away, I despise the gym! I hate using the machines that no matter how fast or how hard you go, you go nowhere; I hate sweating bullets and having to take a shower afterwards. Tonight I did the Stairmaster for 30 minutes and all I could think of was how much time I had left to go til I could get off that dang machine. I eventually threw my towel over the screen so I wouldn't look at it. My only saving grace was I got to listen to some of my backlog of podcasts that I've downloaded onto my Ipod. Since I haven't been to this new location, it was actually nice as this location is a lot bigger, has more parking, and you don't have to wait for machines. They have several of those big a$$ stair machines that you actually climb real steps (but yet go nowhere!) that I think will be good conditioning for the trip. I think I'll also start swimming again, I'd much rather swim for an hour than use those stupid machines.

I just wish it would stop raining on the weekends so we can go hiking instead. Did I say how much I hate going to the gym? Tonight "The Biggest Loser" is on, maybe that will inspire me, somehow I don't think so...

1 comment:

Carlo said...

I hear ya' regarding the gym! I couldn't even get my lazy butt to martial arts class tonight. There is something about cold, windy, rainy days that makes me wanna just stay home and cuddle with my doggies... :-)

Kirstin
P.S. Don't you wish we all had energy like Z??? :-)